The original 1937 structure, sited along the eclectic Delmar Loop entertainment district, was given renewed life with conversion of 36 studio apartments into one and two bedroom units for university students and staff.
The design concept merged the historic nature of the original structure with the latest building technologies. In addition to reducing the overall energy demand with high efficiency HVAC system and energy efficient lighting, seven rooftop mounted vertical axis wind turbines supplement the building’s electricity with on-site renewable energy. In an effort to preserve the historic elements of the building, the units were designed to facilitate use of the structure’s original oak wood floors, cast iron tubs, and wood doors.
With the building’s location and forward thinking in design, the building now creates the energy as its own.