Clayton School District Additions and Renovations
Clayton School District
21,202 Square Feet (Additions)
181,416 Square Feet (Renovations)
Captain Elementary School
The second and first story additions continue the unique hexagonal geometry of this 1970s open-classroom school. Valuable instructional space for new science and Spanish labs was captured by enclosing the area under the existing upper floor classrooms, which projected over at-grade porches. A two-story contextual addition provides interior circulation at the main level and a counselor and conference room at the upper portion.
An illustrative water Trombe wall was integrated into the design to complement the enhanced science program. The Trombe wall design uses glass containers that provide the thermal mass to absorb solar heat during the day and radiates the heat into the interior spaces at night. The portion of the Trombe wall, made of water-filled glass canisters, can also be used by the students and instructors to grow acquatic plant life utilized in science studies.
Glenridge Elementary School
A three-story addition provided the required space for growth and improved programs at this historic 1929 school. The lower level of the addition expands the lunchroom, thus providing a multi-functional space to accommodate larger groups, musical instruction and after-school programs. The new first floor portion of the addition replaces a kindergarten classroom and the upper floor adds a large science lab. The project included reconfigured classrooms, new finishes, a re-built stage, a new counselor suite, specialized small classrooms and a new science garden.
Meramec Elementary School
A two-story addition at the rear of existing 1938 facility incorporates a science lab, counselor's space, storage and small group learning areas, while also providing a barrier between the playground and an expressway adjacent to the school. This buffer is strengthened by landscaping and at-grade and raised science gardens accessed directly from the lab. A second addition on the rear of the building provides physical education storage and encloses an open stair that caused water infiltration problems. A one-story expansion of the cafeteria at the southwest of the building creates a flexible space that can accommodate large group activities.
The Family Center
With various programming and specialized spaces, this early childhood center serves children from two months through five years old. The brick veneer addition matches the scale and form of the 1953 original building, but introduces a bit of whimsy via circular skylights and portals that create ever-changing sunlit patterns. The addition adds two upper floor classrooms for children three to five years old, and restrooms with child-scale fixtures. An indoor lower level multi-purpose room was provided to allow a larger space for gross motor skill development.