St. Louis, Missouri
Within the heart of the St. Louis downtown loft district, the original Hamilton Brown Shoe Company Headquarters building underwent a transformation into a mixed-use building with loft style condominiums, integrated parking, and first floor retail space. Built in 1898, the steel structure allows large spans of glass to be used, flooding the perimeter units with natural light.
Because of the building's deep footprint, 720 square feet were carved from each residential floor allowing an open air lightwell into the building which created the viability for three additional units on each floor.
Setback from the parapet to protect the historical integrity of the original structure, a penthouse structure was designed for additional square footage and walk out terraces for five units on the 9th floor, providing dramatic views of the city skyline.